Help! on fading the lines

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Help! on fading the lines

Postby jewels » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:28 am

I want to make my corset mockup but need to fade the sizes for my waist and hips. Basically an E waist and D for the bust and hips. I have no experience in doing this and Heather said to make dots at the waist and hips, then put a pin at the waist and pivot the tracing paper and I should the new line. ?? I did this and nothing changed, it was still E waist and D hip. Also it was difficult to pivot the tracing paper with the pin. Heather did show me a diagram but still clueless. I'm sure this is easier then I'm making it. Can anyone out there help me out with this? Thank you so much!!!!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Help! on fading the lines

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 pm

Yeah, that pick isn't very good. Hopefully, this one will be better.

The first section is tracing out the pattern in you size, with the dots at the desired waist and the desired hip lines. Your traced lines are in red. Size E, but hip in size D.

The second section is pivoting your tracing on the waist dot, so that your hip dot is now on the same size line as the waist. Moving the dot at D to the line at E.

The last sections is tracing the hip section between the dots, shown here in blue. The hip area is now narrower by one size, because of the pivot.

Does this help at all?

pivot2.jpg
pivot2.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Sorry I am still so confused. I trace the pattern with dots at the sizes needed at the bust,waist and hips. So now when I cut the traced pattern out the dots are still on the different sizes. So the pivot is on the traced pattern? Or do you keep the tracing paper on the original pattern and pivot it that way? If that's the way I did try and the dots didn't move at all. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
I think if I had a visual it would be easier to figure it out.
I know it can't be as hard as I'm making it. Thanks so much for your help.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 am

Place the dots on the tracing paper. So when you pivot the tracing paper, the dots move with the paper. You trace the part of the pattern that you are not changing sizes for. Then you pivot the pattern on the waist dot. It doesn't move, but the hip dot will move. Pivot the tracing paper so that the hip dot is now lined up with the same size line as you waist dot. In your case, that would be to move the hip dot from the size D line to the size E line. Trace from waist to hip along the size E line. That's all you need to do. To test, just pivot the tracing back to where the original lines are back in place. You should now see that the hip line changes sizes.
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Ok I think my problem was putting the dots on the pattern itself!! I understand better now and honestly feel a bit lame about this. I've made many lovely dresses from your patterns so not a beginner sewer but with this technique I am LOL My other question is do I change the sizes on all the pieces that give you the different size options or only on certain ones Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

You want to do piece 3 at the side seam, and then piece 4, 5, and maybe 6 (if you want to shift the adjustment to the side, rather center back)
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks so much for the help. Just want to make sure before I trace. Is the waist on the pattern at the end of the horizontal grain line and the hip at the bottom of the lines? Also I have a natural denim for my mockup. Would that be alright for the lining as well? it's pretty sturdy. Thanks again.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Yes, you can use the denim. There is one thing to be aware of though, when using twill and denim. The diagonal weave can cause the corset to twist, if the diagonal is all the same direction. So be sure that the diagonal is to the oposite somewhere in the corset. Either the left side angling to the left and right to the right. OR, the lining angle clockwise, and outside layer counter clockwise (or vise-versa). The easiest way to do this is to take you first cutting of the pattern, and let that be one side of the corset, as both lining and fashion fabric, and the second cutting the other side. Rather than cut once for fashion and once for lining. If that makes sense.

The horizontal line is the waistine. It is a little high, but that was where it was placed on the original 1886 pattern, so I left it there. It might work best to place your waist pivot dot just below that, where the pattern starts to curve outwards. But either place should work just fine, I think.
jewels
Costume Afflicted

Postby jewels » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 am

Yes all of it makes sense. Thanks so much for all your help with this.

Return to “Corsets”