corset newbie TV110

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
nat20lee
Window Shopper

corset newbie TV110

Postby nat20lee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm making my first corset and I decided to go with the TV110 based on what I've read on this board. :) I've made up a mockup and now, I'm unsure of how high the bust is supposed to cover. If I put the corset on so that the waistline markings come to my waist and the armhole is about an inch away from my armpit, then the bust covers all of my boobs like a bra would. Is that the way it's supposed to fit?

Also, how much of the hips should the corset cover?
marylou426

Re: corset newbie TV110

Postby marylou426 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

First off, Welcome. Second, have you read Heathers tips for corsets? It's kind of for the LM corset however it helps if you've never made one or woren one. My first corset seemed OK, until I wore it a few times, then I noticed myself saying litle things like "the next one I make". It's hard to tell how exactly it fits without seeing it.
But, if you're tall like I am and have to lengthen EVERY SINGLE PATTERN EVER, the waist should hit your waist, this means if it raises the top too high you'll have to trim it down, and might have to trim the bottom up. It's kind of ,if,if,if. Heather is awesome about looking at a pic and telling you where to go next. Corsets should be comfortable, and it shouldn't poke your legs when you sit. Hope I helped.
:sew:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Most Victorian era corsets should come up to mid-nipple height, or just a tad above that. They support the under half of the bust, and the upper part is confined by the chemise. Be sure to stand up very tall when judging the lengths of your mockup, as lacing the finished corset will lift your body into a straight posture. A little bit tall is better than a little bit short, and you can usually trim the top down a little bit later if you need to.

For the hip, it should be short enough that the point does not hit you in the pelvis or dig into your leg when you sit down. However, it can fit into the crease of your leg, but you just don't want it to poke you. Again, you can usually trim the bottom up a little bit later. The one thing you can't change is the length of the busk, so try to get the center front to where you want it, before you put in the busk.

And anytime you want to email or post a photo. I'll be happy to give you a fitting critique.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 am

BUT, if wearing the corset without a chemis, it should be possible to lengten the corset (add some extra Angstroms) above the bust, and it that case preferrable "nip in" the seam on top, as well as modelling the corsets as required?
Many of my students want to wear the corsets on their bare skin and, especially if they have a fuller figure, want to corset to cover their busts. fully.
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
nat20lee
Window Shopper

Postby nat20lee » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:18 am

I think I figured out how to post photos. :shock:
Here's my second attempt at the corset. I definitely want the traditional victorian corset. The length seems ok, but I think maybe the waist is too big.
I apologize for the dark fabric and poor lighting :?

Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:59 pm

That does look a lot better. You know, it almost does looks a little big, but remember, there is still seam allowance to remove at the back edges, so it is really 1" smaller that what you are seeing. The first version just really looked too small at the waist. Maybe split the difference? and cut the back panels 1 size smaller overall, leaving the front panels the same? I think it boils down to how much you think you might reduce your waist when lacing. Since this is your first corset, it is really hard to judge how your body will adapt. I think you are just going to have to make a decision and just go with it. Make it up and wear it a few hours, and see how it all fits. Only then will you really know if any changes will be needed.

Return to “Corsets”