TV 101 ruffle ratio

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
nat20lee
Window Shopper

TV 101 ruffle ratio

Postby nat20lee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi,
Can someone explain what the pattern means by a 2.1 ratio for a machine made ruffle on the overlay (overlay on the petticoat with bustle) I have a ruffler foot for my machine that I've never used, but I'm determined to figure it out. I'm not going to gather those ruffles by hand if I can help it! :D
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: TV 101 ruffle ratio

Postby MaryGode » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:50 am

2:1 means to gather a length into half the ungathered length. For example 12 inches of fabric gathered to 6 inches is a 2:1 ruffle. You could also think about it thusly: if you have a 60 inch hem to put a ruffle on, you'll need 120 inches of fabric to ruffle up.

3:1 needs three times the fabric, 4:1 needs four times, and so on.

You will love your ruffle foot! I can't believe it took so long for me to get one.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Re: TV 101 ruffle ratio

Postby Laura » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 am

On the Rufflier foot you can change three things to get different ratios to the ruffle.
-The count bar set at 1, 6 ,or 12. That makes a pleat at that number of stitches. I usually use 6,
-The depth of the pleat by tightening the screw. I usually have it set at half way in making a 1/4in pleat,
- And the length of stitch on your sewing machine. I like the setting 3.
Now this is not at 2/1 ratio, it is a bet less. but it makes great ruffles. Play with the settings yourself and see what you like best.
:sew:
Laura
Laura
Truly Victorian Honorary Team Member

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”