Taffeta Petticoat

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Taffeta Petticoat

Postby kellydofc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Has anybody ever documented a taffeta petticoat in the 1870s? I know they were worn in the 1890s and later but haven't been able to find one from earlier. I want to make one to wear under a natural form bustle dress but I'm being so correct with the ball gown that I would like to try to be correct with the petti as well.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Taffeta Petticoat

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:08 pm

I have not read anything about taffeta petticoats in the 1870's. However, for a ballgown, they would have worn white petticoats. I think all the taffeta petticoats I have seen references for are colored petticoats. So I think that right there would mean that taffeta is out.

But I think I will look through my catalogs just to be sure.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Ok, I pulled out my repro copy of Bloomingdales 1886 catalog. I can't find any reference to taffeta in garments or in fabric. So I am not sure if it was called something else, or if it didn't exist.

The white petticoats seem to be mostly made of cambric, with some muslin ones. There are also some that do not give any fabric type, so I am not sure what these would be. They seem to be more expensive, and with fancy embroidered ruffles and lace.

The colored petticoats seem to be made of chambray, poplin, searsucker, gingham, and something called Farmer's Satin. Farmer's Satin was also listed in the "flannel department" of the fabric section.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks Heather,
I guess I'll stick to a muslin petticoat then. I did see taffeta referenced for a gown on page 43 of Victorian and Edwardian fashions from La Mode Illustree so I figured that I could use it for the actual ballgown but I guess I'll pass on the petti.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”