Pattern Recommendations?

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
Miss Pink
Window Shopper

Pattern Recommendations?

Postby Miss Pink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi, so this is my first post here.

I'm working on re-creating Christine Daae's "Wishing Dress" from the stage version of The Phantom of the Opera and I'm making it as historically accurate as I can. This is also my first time doing anything historically accurate.

I'm currently working on petticoats. I just made a bustle petticoat with Truly Victorian pattern TV101, but I'm going to need at least one more petticoat to get the shape I want for the skirt.

Here's a few pictures for anyone who's not familar with the dress,

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/124412008431141660/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/124412008431280085/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been having a hard time finding the right pattern for the next petticoat and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~Walt Disney
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Pattern Recommendations?

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:19 pm

This is the type of skirt where TV108 Grand Bustle is helpful. It has a couple of hoops at the hem to help get the wide shape like that. Add a couple of fullish petticoats over it, and you have this exact shape.

If you want to stick with TV101, then I would get a medium full wedding net crinoline. They are not that expensive, and will fill out the hem shape nicely. You may have to adjust it a bit to fit over a bustle.
Miss Pink
Window Shopper

Postby Miss Pink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Heather wrote:This is the type of skirt where TV108 Grand Bustle is helpful. It has a couple of hoops at the hem to help get the wide shape like that. Add a couple of fullish petticoats over it, and you have this exact shape.

If you want to stick with TV101, then I would get a medium full wedding net crinoline. They are not that expensive, and will fill out the hem shape nicely. You may have to adjust it a bit to fit over a bustle.

Thanks! Would the wedding net crinoline still be historically accurate for the 1870's/80's?

Also, would a plain straight gathered petticoat be accurate for the 1870's/80's? I haven't seen pictures of any petticoats from that era that are just a basic strip of fabric gathered around the waist (sorry, I'm not sure of the proper title for this if there is one. More like the petticoats from the 1860's and before is what I'm thinking of).
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~Walt Disney
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 pm

No, the net crinoline is not all the accurate. But it does a really nice job.

For a regular petticoat, you want something like TV170, view A. It is gored in the front, full behind.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:33 pm

You definitely want a gored skirt, the bodice needs to fit smoothly over all the layers!

Good luck :) I want to replace my own dress, or at least make a nearer recreation, but do not have enough for the fully kilted petticoats of the Aussie/World tour versions. Even with a deep skirt yoke...
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”