Strengthening a hoop skirt

Undies, everyone has to wear them.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Strengthening a hoop skirt

Postby hailstop » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 am

Okay, so I've got a 180 inch circumference hoop skirt that I made a couple of years ago, but after using it, I've discovered that if I'm outside and there is any sort of wind, the front of the gown collapses and I have to..well...kick it in order for it to regain its shape.

It's got 8 hoops and is the 'all fabric' design with the hoops encased in twill tape.

The bottom two hoops are using 14mm wide hoop steel, with the higher hoops using 10mm hoop steel.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to strengthen this. Should I do another row (or two) near the bottom of the hoop? Use larger hoop steel further up? Both? Something else?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Strengthening a hoop skirt

Postby Heather » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:06 am

My first idea would be to double up the boning. At least at the bottom. Maybe tape the two together? Never really tried it, so not sure if it will work.

Basically, the boning is not stiff enough for that large of a hoop. There comes a point when it will just collapse due to it's own weight. If you can find a thicker (not wider) boning, that might also help.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Postby hailstop » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks! I'll give that a try.
hailstop
Inquiring Mind

Postby hailstop » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:21 pm

I don't have long enough pieces to try doubling up on the bottom two hoops, but I did with the fourth from the bottom and that does appear to have given it more rigidity. Certainly worth getting some more hoop steel.

Return to “Petticoats, drawers, and other underwear”