best wieghts and types of cotton

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
nat20lee
Window Shopper

best wieghts and types of cotton

Postby nat20lee » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:06 am

Hello,
I'm planning on making a sort of transitional bustle dress, natural form just beginning to become the second bustle. Currently I have the fantail skirt, august overskirt, and the 1885 cuirass bodice patterns picked out.
What type of cottons and weights of cotton would work best for a fashionable day dress? What tends to be the most popular choices?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: best wieghts and types of cotton

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

Instead of cotton, have you thought about a linen? Solid linens look great.

I like to use bottom weight type fabrics for skirts, mostly. You can go lighter for the overskirt and bodice. Seersucker work well. Sheers can be very nice, and so can twill, and even velvet. So it really depends on what you want your dress to look like, and when/where you plan to wear it. You just have to shop around a little bit and find something nicer that the average quilt fabric.
nat20lee
Window Shopper

Re: best weights and types of cotton

Postby nat20lee » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 pm

No I haven't really considered linen. Does it wrinkle really easily? I'm just making a dress to walk around town for halloween basically, so I thought matte solid fabrics would look nicer and more authentic than shiny silky fabrics. Plus I hate sewing with slippery stuff. :wink:
I do want to sew with something that won't wrinkle up and look horrible the moment I sit down though.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: best wieghts and types of cotton

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 pm

The linen-look fabrics do not wrinkle very much at all. They usually have something blended with the linen that keeps it more wash-n-wear than 100% linen. But they still look nice.

Return to “What do y'all think?”