Belle Epoch Ballgowns

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Belle Epoch Ballgowns

Postby gretagretchen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

I'm curious what is going on with this ball gown. I assume I could replicate the bodice by changing the neckline of 1892 Ballgown bodice pattern and doing maybe some overlays? What's up with the sleeves? And what's going on with the skirt.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143200463125746643/

Here's another dress along similar lines.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143200463125746294/
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Belle Epoch Ballgowns

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:28 pm

The bodice is just overlays, with the V neckline instead of round. And you could use the Chrysanthemum Sleeve from TV490 to get a similar look. So one makes that sleeve, so I guess my instructions are pretty poor for that one.

The skirt can be built onto the TV298 as a foundation. Just lots of overlays.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm no good with draping, as I don't have a dress form. So which patterns could I steal from for the skirt overlays
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

I don't have any patterns that will get you the overlays, I'm sorry to say. You would need to drape them.

So, a quick and easy dress from can be made by taking your corset, and stuff a pillow inside of it to fill it out. Then set the pillow/corset on a stool, or something similar. (Yes, I really did this before finally breaking down and buying a dress form.) It will work well enough to see how a skirt is going.

If you use TV298 as your skirt base, it is all in one piece. For the different overlays, you will need to divide the skirt into sections, and add a few seams. I love the "Cling" front on the red/pink dress. This effect is created by adding 2 or 3 pleats on one side, a few inches below the waist. I've always wanted to make a skirt like this myself.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 am

I have made the chrysanthemum sleeve! (Although I put it on a bustle gown :wink: ) I really liked the way it was made.
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 pm

well since we're chatting -- any idea about the crazy collar on this gown?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143200463125744800/
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 pm

That is very similar to the "bertha" on civil war bodices. It is actually pretty easy to make. You can use your bodice pattern front and back to get you started. Trace the neckline onto a separate piece of paper, along with the shoulder seam, center front, and center back. Then draw the outside edge of bertha about 8" parallel to the neckline. Hem the edge, or finish it with a lace, or any other method. Then gather along the shoulder seam, and the center front and back.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 pm

actually, I meant the standing back collar. But the bertha info is still helpful!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 am

Sheesh, I looked right past that collar, and didn't even see it.

That collar means that the neckline is fairly high in the back. It almost looks like it is made of 7 wired "petals" the overlap each other. That might be the easiest way to get there, as then you can tack them together as you want them to lay.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 am

The stand-up crazy collar has something of the look of the Mardi Gras Queen collars: click-clickity!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain

Return to “What do y'all think?”