Heavy skirts, is there a way to help with the weight?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Danae
Window Shopper

Heavy skirts, is there a way to help with the weight?

Postby Danae » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 am

I'm so sorry for another question and one that is my own mistake I think ;)

I'm working on a bustle gown with a combination of TV101, TV362 and TV201. I made the wire bustle of a light, sturdy fabric but for the two overskirts I used cotton velvet. The look is really nice, but with box pleats and all... the skirts are quite heavy to wear. Is there a way to distribute the weight? (I think the fact that my corset is getting old isn't helping). Or should I just see it as a work out, Victorian style? :)
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Heavy skirts, is there a way to help with the weight?

Postby Heather » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:53 am

The corset should be distributing the weight of the skirts over your hips. If you have having issues with the skirts pulling or causing aches/pains, then I would look at the corset and see why it is not protecting you properly. Either the corset doesn't fit you well, and is allowing the boning to hit pressure points, or the boning is weakening and is poking at you rather than staying smooth. Or if the corset is too short, or too tight in the hips, then the corset edge can dig into your hips and cause issues.

Other than that, guess it would just be getting used to it? I have some very heavy bustle dresses, but they don't bother me all, so not sure what else to recommend.
Danae
Window Shopper

Re: Heavy skirts, is there a way to help with the weight?

Postby Danae » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:21 pm

You are absolutely right Heather! The corset I'm wearing is getting quite old (and my body has changed a little after my pregnancies ;)) so what you describe is exactly what is happening: I feel the pressure exactly at the points where the corset is getting tired ;) Thank you so much for your help and indeed, I quite like the weight of old fashioned clothing! Especially in this cold weather!

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”