Polonaise with train?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
steamkitty
Window Shopper

Polonaise with train?

Postby steamkitty » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello, I'm just looking for some advice for my wedding dress. I really love the polonaise pattern and I'm thinking of pairing it with Tv261 underskirt. However, I just can't get over my desire for a train! I have the butterfly train pattern, but I still don't understand how it attaches to the rest of the outfit. Would it work with the polonaise? Alternatively, as I just want the train for the ceremony, I could have a different bodice for the ceremony and then change for the reception, but I would prefer to keep costs down if I can and only have to worry about one outfit!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Polonaise with train?

Postby Heather » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:12 pm

The butterfly train doesn't really go with Polonaise as it is intended to be worn. The train is best suited to a bodice that has a point in the back . The idea is that the main section of the train (the part with the waistband) attaches to the skirt waistband, which is under the bodice. The center portion of the train (the part that is pleated to look like a bow) comes out from under the bodice to the sides, and then attaches to the center point of the bodice. This gives you a bow/butterfly look to the part that is on top. The polonaise skirts will not allow you do this.

That is not say that you can't make adjustments and have it work. You could have the train band attach to the outside of the bodice at the center back waist, and the bow part attach to the middle of the band itself. The train would cover the entire back of the dress and would be removable. The down side is that you would have the attachment points visible when you take the train off. But if you used buttons, and button holes on the band (rather than hooks or snaps) the buttons might not look totally out of place with the train removed.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 pm

What about extending the Polonaise to have a train? You could then have it down for the ceremony and then up for the reception.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, extending the train. I haven't made the polonaise yet, but is the back like many of the overskirts and it's just a long panel of fabric that's gathered up? Maybe extend the part that doesn't drape in the front, like extending the side and back panels a skirt for a skirt train. Then you can have just one garment and be able to bustle up some of it after the ceremony.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:51 pm

You can definitely make the back the polonaise longer to be a train. It would not be removable, but you could bustle up more to lift it later. It is only 1 width of fabric wide, where the butterfly train is 2 widths wide. But it will still look nice.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 pm

If you wanted more width, you could always add a godet in the center back.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
steamkitty
Window Shopper

Postby steamkitty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:07 am

Great suggestions! thank you! I'm still not quite sure what I will do. I've ordered some fabric to make my practice polonaise and I'm hoping that after I make that I will either decide to alter the pattern to turn it into a train as suggested, or figure something else out!
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Posted a couple of photos I did of a vintage wedding dress I have in my photo collection. I used the polanasie pattern and did not attach the backe tapes. I imagine that it would be easy to lengthen and still get the puff.

Last edited by Heather on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I edited the image links to show up.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I give up go to the gallery Loretta J Tejkl
steamkitty
Window Shopper

Postby steamkitty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:06 am

ooo! Great pictures! thank you!

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”