One Last Question about TV466

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Keireina
Window Shopper

One Last Question about TV466

Postby Keireina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm so close to being done TV466 and I'm having a bit of a crisis. I don't understand how the pleats are supposed to go. I've tried folding them like the pattern says but it just seems to bunch up and not look pretty. The diagram in the instructions isn't helping me either. I can't wrap my head around how it's supposed to go. I have a feeling once it's explained I'l have a facepalm moment! TIA
Heather
Site Admin

Re: One Last Question about TV466

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Sounds like you are just overthinking it.

All the pleats sit on top of each other in a pile. It all just folds back and forth to create a stack. The very last bit folds under the rest, so that the side edge is towards the center back. The bottom edge will create triangle shapes of each layer. Each fold needs to be the same size in order to get the triangles the same size.
Keireina
Window Shopper

Postby Keireina » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:13 am

Do they fold under or over? I think I see how it's supposed to go. Will a lot of the facing be visible? That might be what's stumping me.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:24 am

They fold under the back. And yes, you see the facing as the hem gets longer/shorter. This is what gives you the triangle shapes, the alternating view of the fabric and facing.

Once you have marked the pleats on your fabric for your size, then you take the beginning of the pleat mark (the dot at the bottom of the seam) and match it to the end of the pleat mark at the arrow tip. This should create a fold, with right sides together, and the two ends of the pleat pinned together Then lay the pleat flat towards the center back, and pin in place. Repeat with the second pleat, which should lay directly under the first pleat. That should leave you with a half pleat left, just fold it under the stack, lining it up with the other pleats.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”