self fabric trim on 1850s skirts

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Elizabeth-Madpie
Window Shopper

self fabric trim on 1850s skirts

Postby Elizabeth-Madpie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope this board still has enough people to share opinions. I've spent a long time away from the Victorian era and it seems all the traffic has moved away from the places I used to look.
I have a silk blend satin to turn into an 1850s ballgown (or possibly early 60s but its going over a modest sized 105" circumference round hoop so I can almost pretend there's no hoop to use this skirt with a c. 1850-55 day bodice that has lost it's skirt). I have a total of 7m (7 3/4 yds according to my calculator) of fabric but fortunately it is wide, 140cm (56"). My rough calculation says I should need about 3.6 m for a plain skirt (I'm 5'10" tall so going over hoops I'm looking at 3 drops of 120cm) leaving me with 3.4m for a ballgown bodice and trim so if I work on a generous 2m for the bodice I think 1 1/2 m should actually be a good amount for trim just not enough for the tiers of ruffles so ubiquitous in fashion plates.
Do you have a favourite way to get impressive looking trim out of scraps (I'm thinking of using the contrast between two sides of the fabric the dull side of the satin is a few shades darker than the shiny side).
Thanks for your help,
Elizabeth
Heather
Site Admin

Re: self fabric trim on 1850s skirts

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 am

Not a lot lot of traffic on this board anymore either. I think everything has moved to FB. It's kinda sad, but oh well.

One idea would be to go with small ruffles/ruches or flat stripes set on in patterns. I know that is more of an 1860s thing, rather than 1850s, but is anyone really going to care?

I did find a few things 1850s with this type of trims. This one is early 1850s, and has the trim only in the front.
1850s-french8.jpg
1850s-french8.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Jean
Window Shopper

Re: self fabric trim on 1850s skirts

Postby Jean » Sun May 12, 2019 6:14 am

Keep in mind that a tucked petticoat & plenty of starch will hold that skirt away from your hoop, providing more width & volume.

Show us pictures, please!

Return to “What do y'all think?”